9 Sept 2010

Prayer, holy reading, and work

These are the three activities of monastic life according to the rule of St Benedict.

What has drawn me to these is Henri Nouwen's diary in the seven months when he lived the life of a Trappist monk.

Prayer, holy reading, and work.

I spent my afternoon with Christa, my friend who's trying to learn say the liturgy and the Lord's prayer in Cantonese. Shortly before we parted, I mentioned the need to structure my days in a more organized manner. I was having in mind these three activities of the Trappist monks.

There is a great temptation to just let my days pass. But there is also a desire to spend them in a way that can bring me closer to God.

I don't have a clue what I can do.

Maybe I need someone wise to be my guidance.

I would love to spend a day each week without doing any work, and without thinking about work. Maybe I can do a little psychogeography once a week. Maybe I can go to places where I have never visited before.

But the summer heat lingers on. Is it a real hindrance or my excuse?

Should I go to Cheung Chau after the Friday Morning Eucharist tomorrow?

I need space; I need air, the air of freedom that has no worry in it.

Let's see what comes to me tommorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment